Wednesday, September 15, 2010

with das boot, i thee REST!

So as some of you may know, I broke my 5th metatarsal about 5 1/2 weeks ago playing basketball in Laguna Beach. I have never broken a bone, sprained a joint, pulled a muscle EVER in my life before this happened.  Being out of comish for this long has been difficult for me. I'm usually always go, go, go and if I was not busy doing something I felt like I was wasting time.  Class, work, gym, studying, rehearsals, going out with friends, more studying....it never ends!  Well, something happened over the course of my injury...My broken 5th metatarsal became best friends with das BOOT, the aircast that kept it safe and warm for 5 weeks.  Some of you have met das boot, carried das boot, and even poked fun at das boot and all its glory.  But what you didn't know, is that das BOOT taught me a very valuable lesson. 

das BOOT reminded me that I need REST! I needed time for myself, some quality Lena time, to relax and kick back.  Music, journaling, reading a good book, watch a funny TV show...these are all things I forgot how to enjoy!  So take out your planner and schedule a date with YOURSELF. Make time for you and do something that you love.  Episodes of Bachelor Pad have really gotten me through...haha.

For those of you who love to stay active and exercise like myself, rest is especially vital!  Your body repairs and strengthens itself in the time in between your workouts.  Exercise or any other physical demands causes changes in the body like muscle tissue breakdown and the depletion of energy stores as well as fluid loss.  Recovery lets your body replenish energy stores and repair damaged tissues.  So if you balance exercise with rest and recovery you will have more energy, stay motivated, and reach a higher level of fitness!

Here is a great exercise that helped me learn to relax and renew myself:

DEEP RELAXATION
20 minutes of deep relaxation is equivalent to 4 HOURS OF SLEEP!  
  • Get into a comfortable position (without crossing your legs)..I like lying on the floor personally.  
  • Close your eyes
  • take slow, deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth, try to keep your breaths quiet and inhale for 5-7 seconds before you exhale
  • start tensing and releasing certain muscles one body part at a time, right leg, left leg, right arm, left arm, neck, head, chest, etc.
  • imagine gravity is pulling and weighing you down
  • imagine yourself somewhere calm, safe, and peaceful...like a on a sandy beach or cozy bed
  • explore the scene you imagined, all the while gravity is still weighing heavy upon you
  • when you are ready, come back to wherever you are and slowly begin to open your eyes
  • take your time and slowly roll up and speed up your breathing
Afterward, you should feel AWESOME. Give it a try!

Yours in health,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment