Our body weight is 75% water! Our bodies are losing water when we breathe and humidified air leaves the body, when we sweat to cool our body, and when we urinate or have a bowel movement to get rid of waste. Normally, we must drink water throughout the day to replace lost water. Diarrhea, vomiting, sweating, and lack of water are all major reasons why dehydration sets in. Dehydration occurs when there is more water leaving the body than being taken in.
Signs and Symptoms of Dehydration
- increased thirst
- concentrated urine, yellow color
- dry mouth
- cessation of sweating
- muscle cramps
- nausea and vomiting
- heart palpitations
- even confusion and weakness if very severe dehydration occurs
Dehydration Prevention Tips!
- Take extra water with you! Especially if you are outdoors/active, grab your water bottle!
- Temperatures are high right now, so limit outdoor exercise during peak hours! check weather online :)
- Limit alcohol and caffeine consumption in this crazy heat! Alcohol increases water loss and impairs your ability to see signs of dehydration.
- Wear light-fitted, loose-clothing
- Break up your sun exposure...try to stay in air conditioned or shaded environments
- Remember signs and symptoms of dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke so you can prevent them!
- DRINK AT LEAST 8 CUPS OF WATER A DAY! (equivalent to the volume of a 2 liter soda bottle)
STAY HYDRATED YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE :)
Yours in health,
p.s. for more information on heat exhaustion first aid (signs, symptoms, and treatment) CLICK HERE!